Andy Campbell is the managing partner of the firm and the chair of the Litigation Section. In a diverse litigation career that has spanned more than 30 years, he has established himself as one of the state’s leading business litigators and a true “lawyers” lawyer.
He has handled hundreds of cases involving shareholder disputes and litigation and has authored articles on this developing area of the law. He is also recognized as one of the leading attorneys in the state in securities and derivative litigation, class actions, trust and estate litigation, will contests, and fiduciary duty claims. He has been appointed class counsel in numerous state and federal class actions, and he also has successfully defended such cases. He has successfully arbitrated and obtained multi-million dollar awards in state and federal courts as well as arbitrations including AAA, FINRA, and other panels. For many years Andy has been a member of the Best Lawyers in America and Super Lawyers and has held an AV Premier rating by Martindale Hubbell. He recently completed a term as a member of the Alabama Securities Commission and has served as Special Assistant Attorney General, representing the state of Alabama in civil cases. He handles cases for both Plaintiffs and Defendants.
After attending Birmingham Southern College, he graduated from the University of Alabama in 1978 where he was a member of the Order of the Coif, Dean M. Leigh Harrison Scholar, and member of the Alabama Law Review. Thereafter, he clerked for Judge Walter P. Gewin on the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
Over the years, he has served in many leadership capacities for the Birmingham and Alabama State Bar, served on numerous Alabama Bar Institute Committees including the recent Committee that drafted a new non-competition statute and serves as an arbitrator in various cases.
Andy was also honored as a 2014 Fellow of the Birmingham Bar Foundation for his accomplishments and charitable work in the legal community.
- Juris Doctor, The University of Alabama School of Law, 1978
- Order of the Coif
- Alabama Law Review
- Dean M. Leigh Harrison Scholar (Top five percent)
- Bench and Bar Society
- Honor Court
- Bachelor of Arts, Birmingham Southern College, 1975, cum laude
- President, Student Government Association
- Phi Alpha Theta
- Judge Walter P. Gewin, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Alabama, 1978
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts of Alabama
- United States Tax Court
ARTICLES AND PUBLICATIONS
- Co-Author, “Shareholder Rights, the Tort of Oppression and Derivative Actions Revisited: A Time for Mature Development?” The Alabama Lawyer, Vol. 63, No. 3, (Sept. 2002)
- “Prosecuting Class Actions in State Court,” Alabama Trial Lawyers Journal, Vol. 14, No. 2 (1994)
- “Interference with Business Relations: The Unified Tort Since Gross v. Lowder Realty,” The Alabama Lawyer, Vol. 50, (March 1992)
- “Litigating Minority Shareholders Rights and the New Tort of Oppression,” The Alabama Lawyer, Vo. 53, (March 1992)
- “RICO in the 11th Circuit after H.J., Inc.,” The Alabama Lawyer, Vol. 51, (September 1990)
- “Agency Immunity and Officer Liability After Destafney: A Justifiable Dichotomy,” Cumberland Law Review, Vol. 14:1, (1983)
- Past Chair, Alabama State Bar, Business Torts Section
- Alabama State Board of Bar Examiners
- Birmingham Bar Association, Executive Committee, Litigation and Antitrust Sections
- American Bar Association
- Birmingham Legal Aid Foundation
- Alabama Law Institute
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Alabama Trial Lawyers Association Bench and Bar
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- 2014 Birmingham Bar Foundation Fellow
- The Best Lawyers in America: Commercial Litigation, Banking and Finance Litigation, Construction Litigation, Securities Litigation, and Trusts and Estates Litigation
- Super Lawyers
- AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale Hubbell
- 2017 Lawyer of the Year in Securities Litigation by Best Lawyers
- Campbell Guin Legal Team Scores Multi-Million Dollar Settlement. Read more here or here.
- Campbell Guin Teams Up for Win in Missouri Bondholder case
- Campbell Wins Largest Jury Verdict Ever Rendered in Dadeville, Alabama For Local Businessman
- Campbell To Represent Home Owners in Claim Against Airport, UPS After Runway Crash
- Campbell Secures Victory In Tuscaloosa School Board Contest