Bert M. Guy
Bert M. Guy is a partner in the firm’s Labor and Employment practice with more than 26 years of experience serving as outside general counsel to small- and medium-sized businesses and practicing in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, labor and employment and intellectual property.
Bert has long-standing affiliations with clients regarding labor and employment issues and counseling on the impact, strategic growth, and management of companies and organizations. He serves as a strategic advisor to clients in the areas of state and federal trademark and copyright issues where he assists clients in selecting, obtaining, maintaining, and protecting federal and state trademark registrations and copyright registrations.
Bert has extensive experience assisting companies in acquiring or selling businesses across a range of industries. He specializes in asset, stock, and merger transactions, representing both buyers and sellers. He evaluates all aspects of a business transaction as well as the underlying business, which allows him to advise his clients on how best to structure a transaction while minimizing the risks involved.
Most recently, Bert has:
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Negotiated and conducted numerous buying and selling transactions in the food processing, manufacturing, healthcare, and employee staffing industries.
- Prepared and worked on numerous private securities offerings to fund healthcare, automobile related manufacturing, and a golf course venture.
- Served as general counsel to several healthcare organizations that operate in the senior living sector.
- Represented computer infrastructure companies and turnkey programs in the carpet and flooring industry and the cabinet making industry.
- Conducted harassment investigation for a major international plant located in the Southeast that led to a finding of no harassment liability.
- Frequently spoke to companies nationwide on various workplace law issues including sexual harassment claims, hiring and terminating employees, EEOC, OSHA and Department of Labor investigations, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, preparation of employee handbooks, and wage and hour law.
- Conducted workshops and seminars for supervisors and human resource personnel in areas such as harassment, workplace violence, and basics of employment law including discrimination, leaves of absence, and other workplace issues.
- Served as strategic advisor to businesses with workplace violence in the automotive, newspaper, software, and food processing industries.
- Prosecuted trademark infringement actions in the newspaper, apparel, restaurant, and golf industries.
- Juris Doctor, The University of Alabama School of Law, 1988
- Order of Barristers
- Chairman, John A. Campbell Moot Court Board, 1987-1988
- Master of Business Administration in Competitive Strategy, The University of Alabama, 1988
- Bachelor of Science in Marketing, The University of Alabama, 1984, with honor
- Mu Kappa Tau
- Beta Gamma Sigma
- Alabama, 1988
- Mississippi, 1989
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth and Eleventh Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Mississippi
- Alabama Bar Association, Disabilities Law and Labor and Employment Law Sections
- Tuscaloosa County Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Law Practice Management Section
- Mississippi Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- Society for Human Resource Management
- Tuscaloosa Human Resource Professionals
- Golden Triangle Personnel Association
- American Intellectual Property Association
- Board of Directors, West Alabama Easter Seals
- Advisory Board, Salvation Army
- Red Elephant Club
- Sponsor, Theater Tuscaloosa
- Homebuilders Association