Jonathan D. Guin
Jonathan Guin is a partner in the firm’s Taxation and Business and Corporate Law practice. Through his diverse experience, he is able to effectively advise business clients from start-up to divestiture, and everything in between. Jonathan has significant experience counseling and providing comprehensive tax advice to domestic and international clients in many specialized industries, including biotech, pharmaceutical, commercial real estate, low-income housing, commercial manufacturing and distribution, medical device manufacturing, and research & development.
His practice includes planning and minimizing transactional tax burdens associated with mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, tax-free reorganizations, internal restructurings, and debt restructurings, as well as minimizing prospective tax liabilities from ongoing operations.
Most recently, Jonathan has:
- Advised an international biotech and medical device company with its relocation of its operational headquarters, research and development, and manufacturing center to Alabama from Europe.
- Advised on multiple private offerings for start-up pharmaceutical companies.
- Closed many low-income housing developments throughout the Southeast, including advising with respect to the syndication and acquisition of low-income housing tax credits.
- Assisted clients in developing sound business succession plans, including an appropriate estate plan to minimize estate taxes and potential for any family misunderstandings.
- Advised new business ventures and partnerships in their start-ups and long-term planning, including drafting partnership agreements, buy-sell agreements, and financing.
- Business and Corporate Law
- Partnership and Limited Liability Companies
- Estate Planning and Probate
- Business Torts, Corporate Litigation, and Trial
- Individual Tax and Income Tax
- State, Local, and Federal Tax
- Tax-Exempt Organizations
- Municipal Law
- Masters of Law, University of Miami School of Law, 2010
- Juris Doctor, The University of Alabama School of Law, 2008
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Economics and Management, Harding University, 2006, summa cum laude
- Alabama, 2009
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Alabama
- U.S. Tax Court
- Alabama State Bar
- American Bar Association, Taxation Section
- ABA Forum Committee on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law