Justin G. Williams
Justin G. Williams is a partner in the firm’s Corporate and Municipal Bankruptcy practice and specializes in the areas of bankruptcy, debtor and creditor rights, workouts, insolvency, and commercial litigation. Justin represents both debtors and creditors in complex Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases. His practice also covers the scope of environmental law, local government law, workplace issues, general business and commercial law, and litigation.
Justin’s diverse litigation experience includes employment litigation, commercial litigation, construction litigation, class action defense, probate litigation, bankruptcy litigation, personal injury defense, and real property litigation. He has a proven record of tackling each case swiftly, efficiently and to his client’s best advantage.
Most recently, Justin has:
- Represented various national and community banks in special asset, workout and bankruptcy matters
- Represented federal court appointed Receiver in takeover and operation of convenience store
- Represented national phone carrier in Alabama bankruptcy matters including defending multiple adversary proceedings
- Represented and defended Alabama based trucking company in multi-million dollar adversary proceeding in national bankruptcy case in New Jersey
- Represented ad hoc committee of hedge funds in the Jefferson County, Birmingham, Alabama Chapter 9 bankruptcy proceeding and successfully negotiated a $3.1 billion refinancing of sewer warrants.
- Represented a local municipality and its industrial board as issuer’s counsel in issuance of a $27 million dollar bond offering.
- Represented a multi-million dollar coal company in Chapter 11 bankruptcy, successfully confirming Plan of Liquidation that sold assets paying 100 percent unsecured debt with significant payments to equity owners.
- Represented large trucking company as debtor’s counsel in Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding.
- Represented concrete pumping company in successful workout of debts so that company continues as a going concern.
- Handled defense of multiple wrongful death lawsuits pending in jurisdictions in Alabama.
- Handled multiple commercial and probate litigation in major counties throughout the state of Alabama.
- Corporate and Municipal Bankruptcy
- Business Torts, Corporate Litigation, and Trial
- Business and Corporate Law
- Labor and Employment
- Municipal Law
- Juris Doctor, The University of Alabama, 2001, cum laude
- Senior Editor, The Journal of the Legal Profession, 1999-2001
- Bachelor of Science in Education, The University of Alabama, 1997, magna cum laude
- Alabama, 2001
- Mississippi, 2013
- United States Supreme Court
- United States District Court for the Northern, Southern, and Middle Districts of Alabama
- United States Court of Appeals Eleventh Circuit
- United States Tax Court
- Super Lawyers – Rising Star 2015
- Certified Alabama Planning and Zoning Official
ARTICLES, PUBLICATIONS, AND OPINIONS
- “The ADA and Bar Examinations: The Relationship Between Applicants, Physicians, and Law Examination Boards in Light of Ware v. Wyoming Board of Law Examiners,” Vol. 25, The Journal of the Legal Profession, 2000-2001
- Alabama State Bar
- Environmental, Real Property, Probate and Trust, and Young Lawyers Sections
- Alabama State Bar Leadership Forum, Class 9-2013
- Selected by class members to present 2014 Class of Alabama Lawyers Hall of Fame inductees
- Leadership Tuscaloosa, Class of 2008
- Alabama State Bar Leadership Forum Alumni Association
- Alabama State Bar Volunteer Lawyer Program
- Tuscaloosa County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Litigation, Environmental, Energy, and Resources Law, Government and Public Sector Division, Law Practice Management, Local Government Law, and Young Lawyers Sections
- Section Advisor, Uniform Law Commission Committee, American Bar Association
- Drafted Model Commercial Real Estate Receiverships Act set for vote in 2015
- Birmingham Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Turnaround Management Association
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Alabama Association for Municipal Attorneys
- Various positions, Alabama Association of Municipal Attorneys Member
- Chamber of Commerce of West Alabama – Various Positions
- Organizer/Developer West Alabama Environmental Roundtable
- Alabama Center for Dispute Resolution State Court Mediation Roster
- Founding director and officer, Tuscaloosa Sports Foundation
- Past, president and current director, Tuscaloosa Tip Off Club
- Past director, Theatre Tuscaloosa
- Current director, Children’s Hands-On Museum