Stephen D. Wadsworth
Stephen D. Wadsworth is a partner in the firm’s Business Torts, Corporate Litigation, and Trial practice. Stephen represents individuals and entities involved in business disputes. While he engages in a general litigation practice, Stephen most often handles shareholder disputes and derivative actions, contract disputes, class actions and complex litigation, securities litigation and arbitration, ERISA, and antitrust matters. Stephen handles large matters on both an hourly and contingency fee basis. He has recovered millions of dollars for his clients in Alabama and across the country.
Most recently, Stephen has:
- Represented securities purchasers in a class action involving Blue Sky Law and negligence claims brought against the underwriter and the underwriter's counsel, obtaining an $8,250,000 settlement fund. The class recovered approximately 85% of their out of pocket losses.
- Obtained a summary judgement for a defendant majority shareholder in oppression action brought by minority shareholder.
- Obtained summary judgement for a plaintiff in a breach of contract action, ultimately recovering $416,636.62 for the client after a trial and appeal.
- Represented a group of minority shareholders in litigation concerning a large foreign corporation, ultimately obtaining a multi-million dollar buyout of their interest.
- Represented the plaintiff founder and plurality shareholder of a closely held bank in a case involving both derivative and direct claims in an action against the remaining officers and directors of the bank which resulted in the buyout of his interest in the bank.
- Represented minority shareholder in a complex series of corporations organized under the law of several different states collectively worth multi-millions of dollars in a derivative and direct shareholder oppression action resulting in a division of the corporate structure and a purchase of the client’s interest in the other entities.
- Represented group of home owners whose homes were damaged in a plane crash, resulting in a favorable confidential settlement
- Juris Doctor, the University of Alabama School of Law, 2009
- Alabama Law Review, Notes Manager, Managing Board
- John A. Campbell Moot Court Board
- Bench and Bar Legal Honor Society
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, Auburn University, 2003
- Alabama, 2011
- Louisiana, 2009
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Northern and Middle Districts of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of Louisiana
- Rising Star within Birmingham legal community by Birmingham Magazine in 2014
- President, Birmingham Landmarks Junior Board
- Rising Star Lawyers, Birmingham Business Journal 2015
- Rising Star, Alabama Super Lawyers 2015
- Rising Star, Mid-South Super Lawyers 2016
- Rising Star Lawyers, Birmingham Business Journal 2016
ARTICLES, PUBLICATIONS, AND OPINIONS
- “Choice of Law Issues in Shareholder Litigation Involving Alabama-Based Corporations Organized Under the Laws of Other States,” The Alabama Lawyer – May 2014
- “Litigating Double Derivative Actions Through Multiple Layers of Corporate Ownership,” in the Birmingham Bar Bulletin, Summer 2014
- “Minority Shareholder Oppression” (chapter in the e-book Business Litigation Insights co-authored with Andy Campbell and Todd Campbell)
- E-Discovery: Cooperation v. Zealous Advocacy A Case for Both from All Involved, Kentucky Bar Association Annual Convention - June 2015
- Requesting and Receiving Electronically Stored Information, Alabama Association for Justice Journal - May 2016
- Alabama Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Class Action Trial Lawyers Association
- Campbell Guin Legal Team Scores Multi-Million Dollar Settlement. Read more here or here.
- Campbell Guin teams up with Timothy L. Francis for Win in Missouri Bondholder case
- Homeowners Still Concerned for Their Safety 1 Year After UPS Plane Crash
- The Bottom Line
- Stephen Wadsworth Promotes the Opening Night Gala at the Alabama Theatre